There was not much exploring of Tokyo this week; I holed myself up in the studio about 10-12 hours a day. I finished 3 new works and a lot of bits and pieces towards compositions I’ll be starting this week.
A few progress pics of the LCE painting. This is the first painting I have completed using the CatsEye software. In the end, it doesn’t look like the computer was much involved, which I am ok with – although I was hoping for the pattern to come through a bit more than it did. This was also my first casein painting. I ordered the casein emulsion directly from Kremer and most of the pigments came from Sinopia in San Francisco. I really like the effects casein produces – it’s very tricky to work with; it is not like oil or watercolour even though there are similarities to both. As with any painting, the digital reproduction does not do justice to the actual colours, but I think this is especially true of casein where the interplay of layers is remarkably rich.
Starting a new painting today. This time it’s going to be in oil, and it will probably take much longer than my recent work with watercolor. The pattern was created in Processing using some code I worked on over the summer with my research assistants Ben Jack and Ian Loh. It is basically a pattern/tessellation program; I upload an ink drawing (or any image) and it ‘swedes’ it out into a pattern. A click of the button yields a slightly different variation with different color schemes (thanks Karsetn Schmidt / ToxicLibs!). After a few hours sketching with this, tweaked it in Photoshop using puppet-warp, it was then projected onto the canvas where I roughed it out in acrylic. Now time to refine it over the next few weeks in between my small watercolor projects.
A few progress pics of the Kim Jong-Un/Rodman painting. After finishing the drawing in just an hour or two – I masked out the figures to preserve them. Figuring out the color washes, despite being just big blobs of color, proved to be the trickiest part – I trashed the first two attempts because they competed too much with the main figures.
I also decide to change Rodman’s uniform from a 90’s Bulls era to a quasi Harlem Globetrotter, USA flag motif (being the self-appointed ambassador and all).